+6 03 5611 9777

Travel, Accommodation and Visa


All universities and many colleges and schools offer residential accommodation on campus, as well as providi ng a Housing Service to assist students in locating comfortable, affordable, off-campus accommodation. The various options of accommodations are listed below. The cost will vary according to the facilities and services provided and the location.

University Apartments

These are generally reserved for postgraduate students, visiting faculty & married students. They?re usually furnished with the necessary in-house facilities and amenities.


A very popular choice of accommodation for students. Homestay arranges for the student to live with an Australian family. Rooms are either single or shared and the price will range accordingly. The cost generally covers two meals (breakfast and dinner) during the week and three meals on weekends. As a homestay guest, you?re likely expected to be independent, respectful, considerate and co-operative.

University Residential Colleges

Normally on-campus and slightly more expensive than university accommodation. Meals are provided. Sporting and social facilities, libraries, tutoring and (generally) computer access are also provided. Cleaning and household tasks will be taken care of.

University Accommodation

University Accommodation (Halls of Residence) is usually located within or near university campuses. This option is generally cheaper than residential colleges, as they do not provide certain facilities such as meals. International students are often attracted to this mode of accommodation because of the exposure they get to many diverse cultural backgrounds.

Please note that Residential Colleges and University Accommodation will only accept full-time university students. They?re opened to both men and women. As this is mainly sought after, therefore it is recommended that you apply to the college before your classes start. Some universities do offer single sex Halls of Residence, and some have a religious affiliation.

Rental & Shared Accommodation

This option mainly requires one or more people to share a house or flat. Rentals will be according to the location, size, facilities and the condition of the residence. You may check for advertisements in the local newspapers, student notice boards, in housing offices or approach a Real Estate Agent.


We can help you with flight bookings and arrangements. If you are arranging your own flight arrangements, please ensure that you keep us informed of your departure dates, flight numbers and arrival dates and times so that we can arrange for your airport reception if you wish to be met upon your arrival.

Please contact StudyExcel's office for assistance and latest prices of Flight Tickets. Please note however that price of tickets vary from time to time.


Quarantine is a function of AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service). AQIS's role is to prevent the entry into Australia of exotic pests, diseases and weed seeds that could affect plant, animal and human health, as well as the environment.

On the plane, you'll be given a passenger declaration card. This is legal document, and you must tick YES if you have any food or goods of plant or animal origin.

If you have prohibited or unwanted items you don't wish to declare, drop them in the quarantine bin on the way to collect your baggage. Remember that you can be fined more than $100 on the spot if you do not declare items of quarantine concern. If you're not sure about the goods you're carrying or Australia's quarantine laws, ask a Quarantine Officer.


  • Herbs and spices of any kind - includes herbal medicines and remedies, tonics, teas
  • Dried fruit and vegetables
  • Biscuits, cakes, confectionery - includes chocolate, sweets, crisps, roasted nuts, pretzels
  • Noodles and rice - includes processed and instant meals (egg noodles and noodles containing meat are prohibited)
  • Teas, coffees, juices and other drinks (drinks containing milk, honey or eggs are prohibited)
  • Bamboo, cane or rattan basket ware and mats - including coconut carvings, cane baskets
  • Fresh flowers and leis - (flowers that can be propagated, such as roses, carnations and chrysanthemums, are prohibited)
  • Pine cones and potpourri - includes natural and decorative products such as wreaths
  • Seeds in any form - includes commercially packaged seeds, seed ornaments, and necklaces (all beans, corn and lettuce seeds are prohibited)
  • Straw packaging and handicrafts - includes corn dollies, wreaths and decorations made of cereal or grain, and articles stuffed with seeds or straw
  • All wooden articles, artifacts, handicrafts and curios - includes carvings, items made from palm fronds or leaves (items made from banana leaves are prohibited)
  • Rawhide - includes rawhide drums, shields and artifacts
  • Shells or coral in any form - includes jewellery, curios and souvenirs (except with wildlife protection certification)
  • Feathers, bones, horns and tusks - must be clean and free of blood, skin, dung or soil
  • Skins, hides and furs - must be professionally tanned or cured (some may be prohibited under international wildlife legislation)
  • Stuffed animals - must be accompanied by a certificate stating they have been prepared by a taxidermist (some may be prohibited under international wildlife legislation)
  • Wool (unprocessed) and animal hair - includes yarns, crafted rugs and clothing Wool must be scoured and hair cleaned
  • Holy water
  • Animal equipment (used) - includes clothing, footwear, grooming and veterinary equipment, saddles, bridles and birdcages
  • Sporting and camping equipment - tents, footwear, hiking boots


  • Milk and dairy products - includes all products that contain milk ingredients (baby formula and New Zealand dairy products are allowed)
  • Seeds, beans and handicrafts or souvenirs that contain or are made from seeds or beans
  • Popping corn and raw, unroasted nuts - includes raw peanuts and chestnuts (chestnuts from New Zealand are allowed)
  • Eggs and egg products - includes whole, dried, powdered and uncooked egg products
  • Fresh fruit and vegetables
  • Live animals - includes birds, birds' eggs, fish, reptiles and insects
  • Meat and all pork products - includes all uncanned or fresh, dried, frozen, smoked or salted meat
  • Salmon and trout products - ask about special import conditions (canned salmon is allowed)
  • Live plants - includes cuttings, roots, bulbs, corms, rhizomes and stems
  • Biological materials - includes human/animal vaccines and therapeutic goods (ask about special import conditions)
  • Deer horn/velvet, edible bird's next - (deer horn and/or antler from New Zealand are allowed)
  • Soil and sand - includes items filled with soil or sand (rocks free of soil and sand are allowed)


When you declare items or quarantine concern, you'll be directed to a Quarantine Officer to have them inspected. Your declared items won't automatically be confiscated. In most cases, they will simply be inspected and returned to you (some items may need treatment to make them safe before they're returned).

Some items are prohibited. If you declare them, you'll be given the option of re-exporting them. If you don't declare them, they'll be destroyed and you could be prosecuted. If your items have to be treated to make them safe, you'll be advised when they are available for collection (in most cases there's a fee for treatment). You can collect your items yourself or through an agent, or have them posted/couriered to you. You have 30 days to collect your items. If you don't contact AQIS or collect them within this time, they will be destroyed.


You may meet one of AQIS Quarantine beagles at the baggage carousel. Don't be alarmed. They're friendly dogs that have been trained to search for items of quarantine concern. If the dogs are working near you, please place your bags on the floor so that they'll be ready for inspection.

Important note: For domestic passengers travelling on international flights, if you're carrying food or other items subject to quarantine, you must show the Quarantine Officer a receipt or other document confirming that the product is of Australian origin. If you cannot show proof, your goods will be seized. Please note that some states prohibit the entry of fresh fruit from other parts of Australia.



To obtain your student VISA, please prepare the following:-

  • Confirmation of Enrolment Form (eCOE). If you have made your payment of fees through StudyExcel Sdn Bhd, we would have your eCOE in our office.
  • Application form 157A for student VISA.
  • CAAW and Form 1229. Translated Birth certificate and other documents needed from time to time. Please check with us on the latest requirements for documents.
  • Consent from both parents is required of you are under eighteen (18) years of age at the time of application.
  • TWO (2) passport sized photographs - write your name and passport number on the back of the photos (2 for medical, 1 for VISA form and 2 for record purposes).
  • E-Medical Examination , together with the chest x-ray are amongst the test your need to do.
  • Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months upon entry to Australia.
The processing of your VISA will normally take TEN (10) working days. However, you may experience delays if you have a medical condition



From Friday 16 July 2004, all applications for Visas and UK Residence Permits should be made at the UK Visa Application Center. These services replace the postal and drop box system currently in operation.

A visa is an entry clearance certificate that is placed in your passport or travel document by an Entry Clearance Officer at a British mission overseas.

You will need a visa if you are one of the following:-

  • are a national of one of the countries listed in their guide
  • are stateless
  • hold a non national travel document
  • hold a passport issued by an authority not recognised by the UK

From November 13, 2003, nationals from 10 non-visa countries (USA, Canada, South Africa, Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea, Hong Kong who willneed to apply for entry clearance if staying for longer than 6 months.

You will require the following when applying for a visa.

  • a completed Application form VAF1 - non-settlement
  • any dependants under 16 years old, included in your passport and travelling with you can be included on the form. Older dependants should complete separate forms.
  • Your valid passport and travel documents
  • two recent passport sized (45mmx 35 mm) colour photographs (N.B. Some visa sections may require three photographs)
  • The visa fee, which is non-refundable, and must normally be paid in the local currency of the country
  • any relevant diplomas or educational certificates which you hold.
  • a letter from your the university, college or school confirming your acceptance on a course of study in the UK and a statement of charges for the course.
  • evidence of Government sponsorship (if applicable)

Please NOTE that Visa application requirements change from time to time. Please do not hesitate to contact us for the latest developments.

Disclaimer: StudyExcel Sdn Bhd will not be held responsible for loss or damage of passports if they are sent by mail or courier service. It is advisable to deliver and collect your passport personally. Should you wish is to courier it back to you, it will be done on a reversed charge basis to you, or a fee payable in advance depending on your location.

Thank you.